A new analysis of data on 540,667 people admitted to one of 800 hospitals in the US for Covid between March 2020 and March 2021 provides some interesting insights:
- Covid accounted for 11% of all hospitalizations during that period of time. So much for the skeptics.
- People with severe COVID tended to have one or more underlying medical conditions, most commonly:
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Lipid metabolism disorder
- The underlying conditions most strongly associated with death are:
- Fear or anxiety-related disorder
- Diabetes with complications
- Having multiple underlying disorders
This is the first analysis I’ve seen that links mental state to survival. Apparently, your mental attitude toward your illness affects your ability to get through it.